Huawei has recently shared the EMUI 12 stable update plan for the global market. The latest EMUI 12 comes with eye-catching features including – Minimalistic UI Design, Motion Effects, Control Panel, Notification Center, Device+, Distributed File System, Better MeeTime, More Performance, Enhanced Security, and more. In this article, you will check the common FAQs which can clear your all doubts.
1. Why do the latest Huawei smartphones feature EMUI 12 instead of the version of HarmonyOS used in China?
Developed by Huawei, HarmonyOS is a next-generation operating system that empowers interconnection and collaboration between smart devices. It is being rolled out in phases. Currently, the new HarmonyOS is making its way to selected models of Huawei smartphones, wearables, HUAWEI Vision, and more products in mainland China.
Overseas consumers may experience HarmonyOS 2 and its all-new user experience on the recently launched Huawei tablets, HUAWEI Vision and smartwatches.
2. Will Huawei’s future overseas smartphone models feature HarmonyOS?
Please stay tuned to Huawei’s official announcement for details about upcoming products.
3. For the existing Huawei devices in the overseas market, will they be upgraded into either EMUI 12 or HarmonyOS 2? If not, what is Huawei’s plan for these devices?
Please stay tuned to Huawei’s official announcement for details about device OS upgrade plans. Huawei will continue to provide users with technical support to maintain a high-quality user experience.
4. Does EMUI 12 include HarmonyOS 2’s “Super Device” feature?
Tapping into the built-in distributed technology, HarmonyOS 2 debuted with support for the “Super Device” cross-device collaboration feature. Distributed technology has been a staple of Huawei’s operating systems since EMUI 10, enabling many innovative features such as Multi-screen Collaboration that bring users the all-scenario experience.
EMUI 12 also supports distributed technology. Through the Device+ page in Control Panel, users can connect the smartphone with a tablet, PC and smart TV for multi-device connectivity and collaboration.
5. What is the connection between EMUI 12 and HarmonyOS 2? The EMUI 12 UI is very similar with that of HarmonyOS 2. Does it mean HarmonyOS is an Android fork?
EMUI 12 is a new operating system that succeeds EMUI 11. To provide a better user experience, EMUI 12 features Control Panel and leverages Huawei’s distributed technology to facilitate smart collaboration across various devices. Examples include distributed file management (OneHop allows users to use the smartphone as an external flash storage for PCs) and Huawei Share, which enables easy file transfer between smartphones and PCs.
HarmonyOS 2 is a commercial version developed by Huawei based on the open source project OpenHarmony 2.0 for smart devices used in different scenarios. OpenHarmony is not compatible with Android. However, in order to protect existing mobile phone and tablet users’ digital assets, HarmonyOS 2 currently allows existing Android apps to run on some HarmonyOS 2 devices, and Huawei has abided by the relevant open source licensing rules.
Although EMUI was developed on ASOP, it has integrated Huawei’s self-developed distributed technology since EMUI 10. This technology is also featured on HarmonyOS, ensuring a smooth multi-device collaboration user experience.
6. Google has recently announced that it is replacing .apk with .aab as the standard app file format. Will this affect Android apps installed on Huawei phones?
· .aab is the format that apps have when developers upload their apps to app marketplaces. When developers upload apps to AppGallery, they can choose to upload .apk or .aab files according to their needs.
· Consumers can securely download and install high quality apps from AppGallery.
7. Does the launch of EMUI 12 imply that Huawei is coming to the realisation that severing ties with Google is more challenging than anticipated? Has the launch of HarmonyOS 2 affected the relationship between Huawei and Google?
To provide the best user experiences to consumers in this hyperconnected era, Huawei announced in June 2018 that the All-Scenario Seamless AI Life Strategy would become the core strategy for its consumer business. Huawei will continue to invest in technologies around EMUI and related updates.
Huawei will always remain committed to consumers and delivering innovative user experiences. We will continue to invest into R&D to improve the competitiveness of our All-Scenario Seamless AI Life portfolio, and work with partners to nurture a collaborative ecosystem.