Huawei on June 2nd added a range of smartphones, smartwatches, and tablets powered by its new HarmonyOS 2 operating system on the company’s portfolio. The company has also included a new version of the Huawei Mate 40 Series and Mate X2, the Huawei WATCH 3 Series, and the Huawei MatePad Pro.
Apart from the above products, Huawei also brought the HUAWEI FreeBuds 4, its next-generation open-fit Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) wireless Bluetooth earbuds, and two high-end monitors, the HUAWEI MateView and the HUAWEI MateView GT. According to Huawei, HarmonyOS will be used in many smart products including home appliances, smart cars, and more.
HarmonyOS is a next-generation operating system for smart devices, HarmonyOS provides a common language for different kinds of devices to connect and collaborate, providing users with a more convenient, smooth, and secure experience.
HarmonyOS (Hongmeng) uses a distributed technology to meet the varied needs of all types of different devices with a single system, enabling flexible deployment as needed. For developers, HarmonyOS allows cross-platform development and cross-device deployment of apps, making the development of apps across devices easier than ever before.
Huawei plans to upgrade HarmonyOS 2 to 100 devices in the first half of next year. Huawei also launched the HarmonyOS beta activities for the selected devices. Now, as per the official information, 18 Huawei smartphones are eligible for stable HarmonyOS 2.0 update.
Quick Single: HarmonyOS 2.0: Eligible Devices, Updates, News and More [Updated]
Huawei Watch 3 Series: Intelligent smart assistant as compared to phone
During HarmonyOS for smartphone event, the company has introduced a brand-new flagship smartwatch, the HUAWEI WATCH 3 Series, which redefines fashion on your wrist.
Huawei Watch 3 Series Key Info:
- Curved glass screen.
- 316L stainless steel case.
- 3D rotating crown.
- 21 days in ultra-long battery life.
- Allows you to make and receive phone calls and listen to music using the same phone number and data plan as your smartphone.
- Runs on HarmonyOS 2 (Seamlessly with Huawei smartphones to serve as a multifunctional travel assistant).
- On the ride home from the airport, if you’re taking public transit, both your watch and your phone will remind you when you’re getting close to your final destination. You never have to worry about missing your stop again.
The HUAWEI WATCH 3 Series also serves as a professional fitness & health manager that supports more than 100 workout modes. In addition to a broad range of healthcare support options, the watch can now monitor skin temperature with a new, high-precision temperature sensor. It also supports fall detection and SOS functions so users can monitor and manage their health in real-time.
Huawei MatePad Pro: Brand new product with many capabilities
The all-new Huawei MatePad Pro sports a stunning 12.6-inch OLED FullView Display with a 90% screen-to-body ratio, display comes with a ΔE color difference of less than 0.5 for incredibly high color accuracy, delivering a crisp, color-accurate picture that is on par with professional monitors.
The MatePad Pro is powered by the Kirin 9000 series chipsets, the HUAWEI MatePad Pro delivers incredible levels of performance. Supported by the distributed data management and task scheduling capabilities of HarmonyOS, the tablet can work together seamlessly with smartphones and PCs to double your productivity and creativity in different scenarios, whether you’re in the office or at the drawing board.
Huawei MatePad Pro Key Info:
- Supports Multi-screen Collaboration with PCs
- It can become a drawing board in Mirror mode and a monitor in Extend mode
- Supports cross-device file dragging and dropping, delivering a more efficient and collaborative multi-device experience
- The second-generation Huawei M-Pencil (It features a new platinum-coated nib for high-precision handwriting and ultra-low latency, accurately differentiating between 4,096 levels of force)
- In addition, intelligent interactions such as double-tap to switch, Instant Shape, and Instant Table make handwritten input more seamless and natural to fit your unique workflow.
HarmonyOS New Features: Easier to use and smarter than ever
Huawei’s HarmonyOS supports a Multi-device interaction that changes working across multiple devices as simple as controlling one. The new Control Panel supports simple and intuitive connections through a drag-and-integrate feature that allows users to freely connect the devices they want to be based on specific scenarios.
Let’s learn it via example, whenever you are free and thinking to watch movie at home late at night, all you have to do is open up the Control Panel and drag the smart screen icon to your phone icon, and the movie jumps directly from your phone to the TV. If you’re wearing your HUAWEI FreeBuds 4, you can then drag the earphone icon to the phone icon, at which point the movie will play on your smart screen while rerouting its sound through your FreeBuds. This is just one example of the Super Device experience.
According to the latest OS test, HarmonyOS 2’s new Task Center allows apps to travel between different devices at will without installing them on each and every one. On any device that’s part of a Super Device system, you can see the tasks running on all other devices.
If you want a bigger display for mobile gaming, you can simply swipe up and hover to bring up the Overview Screen, and then transfer the game to your HUAWEI MatePad Pro to continue the fun.
The new HarmonyOS Home Screen is more streamlined and organized than ever. You can swipe up on apps to generate Service Widgets that display real-time, easy-to-access information or services without having to open the app itself. You can customize the size of the Service Widgets, tap apps and swipe up to display their widgets and tap any vacant location on the home screen to hide them.
The specially designed HarmonyOS Sans font and natural Gravitational Animations offer a consistent user experience across all HarmonyOS devices.
HarmonyOS: Privacy and Security
After many reviews and video opinions, it was found that the latest Huawei’s HarmonyOS 2 runs even more smoothly than the last generation of EMUI. A HarmonyOS 2 phone can maintain read/write speeds similar to those of a new phone after 36 months of use, even with very little storage still available on the device.
- HarmonyOS 2 keeps opened apps running in the background so that your tasks are always available where you left off.
- Return to the last action or page on a given app even if you have dozens of other apps open.
- You can enjoy a longer battery life with a HarmonyOS 2-based device.
- When multi-device collaborative identity authentication is activated, users can only unlock their phones with a combination of facial recognition on their smartphone and a special check that ensures that the user’s watch is the one that’s connected to the phone.
- HarmonyOS manages user data by category and protects devices by level, setting specific security thresholds for Super Devices.
“We are surrounded by more and more smart devices these days, and are now in a world where all things are connected,” said Richard Yu, Executive Director and CEO of Huawei’s Consumer Business Group. “Every single one of us is a part of this fully connected world, as is every device. We look forward to working with more partners and developers to build a thriving HarmonyOS ecosystem and provide even better experiences, products, and services to our customers the world over.
Note: Users who want to try out the new OS sooner can submit an application at the Huawei Club or on the My Huawei app, or sign up for the HarmonyOS Experience Officer Program in any of Huawei’s 66 offline experience stores in China.
- Huawei HarmonyOS 2: There are currently 500,000 Harmony developers
- HarmonyOS 2 Stable update devices list
- HarmonyOS: These 34 Honor devices are eligible for HarmonyOS 2.0 first feature update
- These Huawei phones will get HarmonyOS 2.0 update [100 Devices List; Q3, Q4 2021 and Q1 2022]
- Breaking: Huawei P20, P20 Pro, Mate 9 HarmonyOS 2.0 rollout confirmed